Table of Contents
Acrow Props are known by a variety of names, including Shoring Posts, Formwork Props, or Post Shores. First engineered in the 1930’s, their development was a revolution compared to timber-based props of the time.
An essential tool in all construction for supporting loads, below we offer a quick guide on how to install Acrow Props on-site.
Consult a Structural Engineer
Professional opinion from a structural engineer will determine how many Acrow Props to use on-site. Many local suppliers, including Scafeast, have qualified staff who offer estimation services.
An engineer will help determine:
- How many and how far apart should Acrow Props be;
- How much support is required to hold the weight;
- Are strongboys required?
Gathering a consultant opinion will create a far safer workplace for yourself and other workers. Alternatively, trying to erect supports without an inspection will needlessly endanger anyone on-site, potentially leading to injury or death.
Buy or Hire Correct Acrow Prop Sizes
The Australian construciton industry primarily uses six different size props. Each has a minimum and maximum height they can adjust with weight capacity depending on the height selected. It is vital to check with a structural engineer to know the correct capacity for props of certain heights.
The capacity of the Acrow Prop must always exceed the weight they are supporting, even employing extra props is recommended. At a certain height, their capacity dwindles, meaning the taller the ceiling, the more props are needed.
Min. Height (mm)
Max Height (mm)
Open Capacity (t)
Closed Capacity (t)
Install Acrow Props
Acrow Props are ready to install once all checks are done beforehand.
- Lift the inner tube and insert the prop pin so the plate sits as close as possible to the ceiling.
- Turn the handle on the prop collar which pushes the rest of the tube up until it is sitting supporting the weight.
- Double check to ensure the prop cannot move and is sitting firmply upright. Any Post Shore sitting at an angle can severely affect weight capacity and jeopardise safety on-site.
With the props fully installed. the rest of their job duration should involve daily checks to ensure no change or damages, as well as adjusting quantity if the weight of the supported slab changes.
For more information on how to install Acrow Props, or for purchases and hire, call our team today at 1300 181 183.